Well! (C: First of all, I want to apologize for not posting a blog update in a while! I’ve received several emails recently from individuals around the country wondering when the next post is coming. As you can imagine with my school district’s start up I’ve been very busy, however I want to share some of my research on spiraling dynamics. It’s a very fascinating topic and I believe strongly it’s another way to better understand ourselves, our family, and our team. Most people who know me well, know that I have always been fascinated with personality tests. What fascinates me the most is how easy it is to figure out a person’s tendencies by answering a series of simple questions. When I teach around the country, in most cases, one of the first things I do is have participants complete a very simple personality test so I can better understand who they are and of course they can better understand me.
In a nut shell, with spiraling dynamics, each of us have states/stages of being. It is believed that as we age we move through these states/stages. These stages begin with the most basic, Beige (tan) which is operating on basic instinct… to the most advanced stage Turquoise, which is advanced thinking around people, systems, life, existence, etc. Furthermore, each of us have lines of development in areas such as business, relationships, communication, intelligence, etc. For example, in business you may be at the Red stage, however you may be at the Green stage in understanding relationships. So it’s very likely each of us are more advanced and less advanced in different areas of our life. However, each of us also have a state that is our “center of gravity”, or our primary state of being and I believe figuring out where we are now is very important!
Unfortunately, sometimes individuals get stuck in a stage/state and do not move forward. You could get stuck in this stage for many reasons. One example would be your inner circle of friends and colleagues. The people you have around you and their influence on your may limit you from moving forward and in some extreme cases can move you backwards. Of course, you can also be pushed forward to a more advanced state because of your inner circle.
Using the graphic to answer the following questions:
- Which is your primary state of being? ___________________________________
- What evidence supports that it is your primary _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Which is your partners (wife, husband) primary state of being? ___________________________
- What evidence supports that it is your partners primary state of being? _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- What is each of your primary team members (inner circle) state of being?
Does your team need a motivational training? Do they need to set group goals or norms for communicating with each other?